Academic Degree Requirements
- Students must earn a CGPA of at least 2.00 in all coursework attempted at IRU.
- Earn an overall grade point average of at least 2.00.
- Complete the required proctored exams.
Note: All students are responsible for knowing and meeting all degree requirements outlined in the most recent University Catalog at the time they commence studies at IRU. See more specific requirements below.
Bachelor and Associate of Science Degrees
Completion of both the Bachelor and Associate Degrees is contingent on the completion of a minimum number of credit hours. Additionally, all student must complete all requirements for the Associate Degree in no more than 3 enrollment years, and for the Bachelor Degree: no more than 6 enrollment years (includes only active enrollment, and not periods of separation from the University).
Part Time and Full-Time Options
Full-time Degree Seeking students may enroll in up to 4-6 courses per semester and part-time Degree
Seeking Students may enroll in a maximum 3 courses per semester. The following registration restrictions apply:
- Degree Seeking Students on Academic Warning, Academic Probation, and Probation Continued and/or those who have a CGPA below 2.00 may only register and/or be enrolled in maximum 1 to 3 courses per semester.
- Students, whose CGPA falls at the end of a given semester to below the minimum CGPA required to be enrolled in the allowed number of courses for the following semester, will be required to cancel courses above the permitted course load for their CGPA by the first day of the semester. Those who fail to meet this requirement to reduce their course load according to the stated policy will be automatically removed from any excess courses by the Office of Student Services.
- Students whose CGPA improves at the end of a given semester, which would otherwise allow them to register for additional courses for the next semester, will be able to add additional courses the following semester.
Notes on Time to Degree Requirements
- Students exceeding the permissible number of semesters of active enrollment without completing all their degree requirements will be administratively withdrawn from the University.
- Extensions to the time to complete a degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis, upon proof of extenuating circumstances, and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by appealing for reinstatement within 30 days of the withdrawal notice.
- There are no special charges or fees associated with making a request for a special review or for extending enrollment.
Changing Degree Levels
Students may request to change degree levels by completing an online form in the Student Portal in accord with the following conditions:
- Students are required to be in good standing with a CGPA of 2.00 or higher to switch degree level from the Associate’s Degree to the Bachelor’s Degree.
- Students whose CGPA is below a 2.00 may switch degree level from the Bachelor’s Degree to the Associate’s Degree.
Students graduating with an Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree from IRU may enroll in a second Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree at the University